Ted Allen's Party
Potatoe pancake with smoked bay scallops
American Sevruga caviar and creme fraiche
1 lb bay scallop
1 oz American sevruga caviar
8 oz creme fraiche
1 lb potatoes
1 ea onion
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 ea. egg
1 bunch chive
1 bag wood chips
oil and salt and pepper as needed
For the scallops
1. Remove the strap or muscle off the scallops .
2. Place wood chip in half hotel pan and on medium heat. Wait until
the chips smoke.
3. When the smoke begins, place scallops in a perforated pan and
put it over the smoke and cover. Let it smoke for about
5 - 6 minutes or until smoke flavor is desired. Chill.
4. Slice scallops.
For Potatoe Pancakes (latkas)
1. Peel and grate potatoes, and onion .
2. Beat eggs and add potatoes, onion , cornstarch, chive, and salt
and pepper to taste.
3. Let mix set and heat oil to 325° and cook cakes.
Start with the cake at the bottom. Shingle the scallop slices on top of the cake and place a dollop of creme fraiche on one side and a dollop of caviar on the other.